Saturday, November 7, 2009

My First Introduction to the Family Home

It was August of 1966 when Sidney first returned home from Vietnam. I had been working at a Bible Camp in Indiana and cut my work trip short when he called to say he was home. We hadn't been dating up to that time, but we were very good friends. I had known Sidney and his family most of my life since we went to school and church together, but I had not visited in his home.

It was a normal afternoon when I had been invited to the Holman's home for dinner. They lived in an old two story farm house located on Front Street in Horine, Missouri. It was probably the oldest home in the community. At this same time, they were in the process of building a new home on the same property. Back to dinner.....

There were 10 of us seated at a large table with large bowls of food everywhere! Now I don't remember what we had for dinner that afternoon, but I do remember this; it began to rain. Not a gentle rain, but a hard summer rain! I was only 17, a little shy about being in their home with my boyfriend, and then it happened...several of the kids got up, as if on cue, and started sitting bowls, pans, buckets and whatever else they could find on designated spots on the floor. They knew the exact place where the rain would be coming in and they knew how to handle it!

The Holmans moved from that old house into a brand new brick home soon after that. I shared many meals with them after that day, but I don't remember any other one quite like I remember my first.

Brenda

1 comment:

  1. I remember visiting the old Holman house on Front Street and do remember the bowls placed around to catch the rain. I was just a kid at the time but it just seemed to me to be a very old house with character. I remember most visits included a large bowl of popcorn. Regarding the exterior - I have a scar on my arm to to this day that I can attribute to quickly escaping through a barbed wire fence to escape a bull coming my way. That pasture was next to their driveway.

    ReplyDelete